Sunday, September 25, 2011

Its the Most Wonderful Time

     The greatest event that happens twice a year is going to begin this weekend. It is almost like Christmas but even better. It is General Conference
     Just like I said last April, Conference holds memories that are dear to my heart, not only memories with family and friends but now also memories with my mission companions. I remember when I was down in Murfreesboro we were talking to this guy. He had just called us over and wanted to talk with us and some how we got into talking about the name of the church. I then remembered a scripture that Boyd K Paker gave in conference. "And how be it my church save it be called in my name? For if a church be called in Moses’ name then it be Moses’ church; or if it be called in the name of a man then it be the church of a man; but if it be called in [Christ] name then it is [Christ's] church, if it so be that they are built upon [his] gospel"
    As missionaries in the Tennessee Nashville Mission, we have been allowed to listen to two types of music, Mormon Tabernacle Choir and General Conference. I have no idea how many times I have listened to General Conference. I would to play it in the car, listen to it at the apartment, and I even printed the text before the magazine so I could read my favorite talks. It now makes me even more excited that we are going to have more talks I can listen to. So instead of 10 hours I'm going to have 20 hours, YES!
    I like what President Uchtdorf gave an example about how General Conference is no ordinary blessing. "A fine member of the Church was talking with a neighbor who was not of our faith. When the topic of discussion turned to general conference, the neighbor asked, “You say you have prophets and apostles? And twice a year in a worldwide conference they reveal the word of God?” “Absolutely,” the member replied with confidence. The neighbor thought about that for a moment. He seemed genuinely interested and then asked, “What did they say in the last general conference?” At this point the good member of the Church went from feeling excited about sharing the gospel to feeling embarrassed. Try as he might, he couldn’t think of the details of a single talk. His friend found this troubling and said, “You mean to tell me that God speaks to man in our day and you can’t remember what He said?”"
     General Conference is amazing. Just the fact alone that we have the blessing of listening to prophets and apostles is amazing. So come and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment