Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Golden Gardner

     The Golden Gardener Contest is just like it implies the one who is the best at growing  practically anything under the sun. Last year it was sunflowers. This is the second year that my family has done it and it has been a hit. Some may wonder but this is what my family calls call wholesome family recreation.

      The first year I didn't know about it until it had already begun and catching up in a growing contest is piratically impossible so I was out. The first year my older brother took the trophy. This year was going to be different. I knew that the contest was going to happen again and so when the weather got warm I planted some seeds. I had an vision in my head that I would have to send a picture home holding the trophy.  Even thought I was miles away I still felt that I was having fun in a contest with my family.

     My plant did really go for the most part . I found some old potting soil on the roof and  a pot to put it in. It wasn't the best growing conditions but I am a missionary so I did the best with what I got. My plant grew for the next several months. I watered it ever day and tried to help it grow. I was ready to get a harvest.Well the time came around that I had to leave Cookeville and I had to say goodbye to my plant. I was sad ending because I hadn't gotten any fruit from my labor but I had a nice plant and so I knew it was going to give my family a run for their money. I send home a picture and waited for the results.

      Well the day came and I got the email from my mom. The end of the contest was on Labor Day. My family was at my Granada's house for the judging and this is what the results were:
                Grandma's prize was Tic Tac’s
                        She had the smallest onion weighing in at 2 grams.
(WAIT, HOLD ON A SECOND WE WERE GROWING ONIONS!?)
               Dad, Mom, and younger Sister's prize was Milk Duds
                        The word ‘dud’ pretty well describes what ours looked like.
(OH NO THEY ARE SERIOUS)
                Older Brother and his Wife - Sugar Babies
                        They had baby sized onions.
                Oldest Brother and his Wife - Whoppers
                        Theirs was getting to be pretty good size.
                Wayne and Jackie - Golden Gardener
                        They took the trophy home with a 75 gram onion!
(SO MUCH FOR WINNING)
                Elder Owen - What-cha-ma-call-it candy bar
                        That was because yours did not look like an onion

        I may have not won. I was probably the farthest one from winning but the prize of winning really wasn't the prize. The prize was just to be able to have fun. This is a pretty good example of what it really matters the most. God loves our families and he wants to bless them as much as he can and by whatever means. We need to go through life an instead of "seeking out the storms" we need to find the light in between the lines. Not only will we be happier but the lives around us will be happier too.

No comments:

Post a Comment